Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Mailboxes

This is my first post for this blog, which I must admit I've been thinking about writing for a while, but haven't until now because I had questioned whether or not it would fall on deaf ears or float lazily through cyberspace, never being heard at all.

I have several other blogs, most notably -30-, my current events/political blog which is also linked to the right.

I wanted this blog to have a little more focus however, with more of an immediate impact or at least perspective. So the first thing I am writing about is the mailboxes on the SJSU campus.

For whatever reason, the only place to drop off mail on campus is in the bottom of the Student Union, which is a bit of a walk from both the mailboxes (for students living on campus) and the on campus housing for students.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Some will say I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but if SJSU (and San Jose) say that they want to really connect San Jose to the rest of the bay area, then creating an atmosphere of connectedness and ease would do a lot to further that end.

I'm a print journalism major, soon to be a journalist by trade, and all I hear about in all my classes is that the future of mass media, and the world for that matter, will be in delivering services to people in a way that is convenient to them.

Food for thought; the more comfortable students are, the more likely they will be to speak well of SJSU to others. This in turn could spur growth and student participation on campus.

The little stuff ain't so little.