Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blogging New Books














BACK IN THE BLOGGING SWING

Here I go again.

For those of you that don't know, I'm back in my hometown of Sacramento for the summer.

So most of my posts in the coming weeks will be about the web company I'll be developing for when I get back to San Jose (details coming soon), or about cool Web 2.0 and Open Source technologies I've seen online.


HACKOFF!

I was surfing the net yesterday when I ran into Hackoff, an internet securities company.

"What's so interesting about that?" you ask. Simply put, it doesn't exist. It's part of Tom Evslin's vision of self-publication.

Evslin created a website/blog for a fictional company to accompany the book that he is publishing chapter by chapter - for free - on his blog.


Some of you may already have heard of Evslin if you're tech saavy or just plan geekish; Evslin used to work for Macintosh, doing work on BackOffice among other things.

Evslin is also the CEO of ITXC Corp, the world's leading provider of wholesale VoIP.


SELF-PUBLSIHING

His online book goes to show how the Long-Tail Effect (niche marketing like that of blogs) , when combined with internet technologies such as RSS and blogs, can revolutionize business and entertainment.

The same could be done for education too - allowing students to create product and market it directly as teachers make criticism and suggestions that help students perfect their crafts.

It might even bring money back to schools in the long run. After all, productive students make lucrative alumni.