Friday, January 26, 2007

And the Story Found Me


With the semester reeving back up, I know I'll soon be back in story-telling mode. Looking back on the notes from one of my classes, I was struck by a quote I scribbled in one of my binders last semester.

"Good stories write themselves," a teacher told me.

Sure, but it takes a keen eye to sort the mundane from the extraordinary, and great writers are great writers for their expertise in this arena.

I often reread this article from Rocky Mountain News journalist, Jim Sheeler, when trying to understand how good journalists can highlight the best features of a story. The piece earned Mr. Sheeler the 2006 Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing. Some of you have already read it.

It still gives me goosebumps.

(Notice how the multimedia compliments the story without being intrusive. Genius.)

, , , , ,,,,,, ,, ,, ,